An ounce of prevention ...
If you learn now, what to do when a cyclone threatens, you may well save the lives of everyone in your family. You cannot stop a cyclone. You cannot wait until one hits to learn what to do to survive. Make sure your whole family is prepared. Test their knowledge.
Before the cyclone season
· Check your house is in good condition, particularly the roof.
· Trim tree branches well clear of your house.
· Clear property of loose sheet iron and other potential missiles.
· Know your community disaster plan.
· In case of a storm tide warning, know your nearest safe high ground and the best access route.
· Prepare an EMERGENCY KIT (hold ready in home)
1. Portable radio with fresh spare batteries.
2. Torch, fuel lamp, candles, and matches.
3. Water containers, tinned food, tin opener, self-contained cooking gear and essential spare clothes.
4. First aid kit and essential medicines.
5. Masking tape and plastic (garbage) bags.